It’s been a while since I’ve put pen to paper, or keyboard to blog, but thought I should try before another week ticks by. My gaming room has been out of action for over four weeks now as our house finally has joined the earthquake repair program. With with no games room I’ve headed to other venues each week for games.
During the time I’ve enjoyed a good number of DBR games which has seen some interesting battles between my ECW armies and Jim’s Later Poles. These evening games have typically seen the result going down to the wire. The 300 point format is ideal for these evening games with each lasting around 2 1/2 hours. The most recent being a very near run game with Polish light horse nearly getting into my baggage which was only saved by the breaking of the Polish left by my own Harquebusiers.
My DBA armies have also been out in force with several enjoyable games using a couple of classical armies against various opponents, such as the one above. I’ve also finally played a couple of interesting games using John’s Wars of the Roses armies. These games provided my first experience with late European medieval armies. As I expected DBA 3.0 has improved the interaction of bill men and archers in historical scenarios.
To complete the gaming a great multiplayer WWII game using Wings of War ensured I haven’t completely lost my ability to take to the air. So while blogging has been minimal the gaming has been excellent.
Another month has all but gone and as a result it is time I posted a short update for those of you interested in my ramblings. My plan to spend more time gaming continues to play out well, be it in a reduction of posts here of course. This continues to be a result, in part, of my mid-week gaming sessions against a couple of different opponents.
After a long period of inactivity my Wings of War models were pulled out and took to the sky. I had forgotten how enjoyable these games are and how simple the rules are, even with the altitude rules. Hopefully another session can be planned in the near future.
In addition I’ve enjoyed a few DBA games on various mid-week gaming sessions against a couple of different opponents. Romans, Successors and Japanese have all seen games, or multiple games, during the month.
I’ve also managed a good number of Renaissance games at the weekends. Each has been based around the 300 point format which I continue to find enjoyable. This format ensures the games don’t last too long yet are challenging. A couple of photos of can be found here. Be warned however the photos are minimal and in no way can be considered a photo report.
Unfortunately, my plans for painting new armies has once again stalled. More figures have been undercoated, but the application of additional colours remains elusive. Perhaps I’ll make some progress in April…
Yet again I have been distracted from updates here by moving miniatures on the table. Such a problem to have I know…
From an Ancients and Medieval perspective I’ve managed a number of games using DBA 3.0, or at least the final draft of the rules. Greeks, Successors and Celts have been involved in multiple clashes in evening games while Aztecs and Conquistadors have represented the late medieval or early renaissance periods.
I am now looking forward to receiving my copy of the recently published DBA 3.0 rules. You can find more detail on the rules package on my Ancient Wargaming site. Hopefully the rules will be here in a week or so, postal services permitting.
We have also been playing a good number of Napoleonic Naval using “Sails of Glory”. Frigates and third raters have all come out in force either for individual ship actions or in pairs. We are now using the advanced rules which requires planning of crew actions. While this adds some complexity the games have been first class. I still need to work on my tactics as I’m reasonably certain that having a ship of the line raked three times in one engagement is not ideal for an officer’s career, but I could be wrong…